Tuesday, April 16, 2013

National Poetry Month - welcome poet Paisly Kirkpatrick


 
Paisley Kirkpatrick
STEPH: Who's your favorite poet? 

PAISLEY: My favorite poet is William Blake. I like his philosophy and was quite touched when I read this first part of Auguries of Innocence":

“To see a World in a Grain of Sand 
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower, 
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand 
And Eternity in an hour.” 
                                   ― William Blake



My poem shows the love a young Scottish boy has of his homeland after he's grown up in a new land and with new parents. Mountains Chiseled from Stone is the only poetry I've written so far. It's spoken by my hero Declan Grainger in my first book, Night Angel.


Mountains Chiseled from Stone

In lands rising so close to heaven,
Scots hear the flutter of angels' wings,
Flying over mountains chiseled from stone.

Bagpipes echoing from glen to glen,
Gather men to band as fighting forces,
To save their mountains chiseled from stone.

Highland mists settling across rich forests,
Blessing countrysides filled with lochs and glens,
Gracing the mountains chiseled from stone.

My heart still feels the call of this land,
Where my mother taught me to love and grow,
To stand tall in the mountains chiseled from stone.


LINKS

http://www.paisleykirkpatrick.com/

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1272262167

8 comments:

  1. Good mornng, Stephanie. Thank you for having me and my poem as guests on your blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful poem. I could honestly feel the wind blowing through my kilt. Loved Night Angel. Looking forward to many more adventures in Paradise Pines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Paisley, I would haven been here earlier, but I can to work today. Thanks so much for sharing your poem with us. I love the expression and the word play in the refrain. The last stanza is so heartfelt it touches the soul.

    Smiles
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Stephanie. The poem came directly from my heart as it's the way I feel about Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Ella. The place stole my heart while I was looking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice of you to say, Michael. I appreciate you stopping to read it.

    ReplyDelete